There’s nothing like brand new windows and doors. The glass gleams and the frames are blemish free. But did you know, when cleaned in the correct way, your aluminium windows and doors can maintain that fresh ‘new’ feel for many years after they’re installed in your home.
Aluminium is such a hardy material that it needs very little maintenance anyway, but even if your home improvements are a few years old, this guide will help to breathe a new lease of life into your aluminium windows.
Aluminium windows and doors have a potential lifespan of approximately 40 years, but it’s worth putting in place a regular maintenance regime to make sure they age well. This should comprise of cleaning the frames, fixtures and fittings, and the glass.
How to maintain the aluminium frames on your windows and doors
Aim to clean your aluminium windows and doors 2-3 times a year inside and out. Outside is more critical because it is exposed to harsher elements, but cleaning both at the same time will achieve the best result.
- Use a soft cloth, preferably a microfiber cloth that will easily pick up any dust and dirt particles and won’t scratch the surface, to wipe the frames first.
- Then use tepid water and a gentle, PH neutral (6-8) household detergent with a soft cloth to wipe over the frames to remove any smudges or marks. Don’t use any harsh detergents or bleach because they will compromise the quality of finish on your frames. Open the window or door and the vents while you clean to include all aspects of the frames and check the drainage slots for any blockages as you go.
- Dry the frames with a new soft cloth. Using a buffing circular motion where possible may help achieve a streak free finish.
Don’t forget the fixtures and fittings
- Identify whether you live in a corrosive atmosphere or not. If you live by the coast, in an industrial area with heavy chemical emissions, or in an area of high traffic such as near a motorway, airport or railway, you may need to think about cleaning your window and door hardware more frequently. If not, you should be able to maintain your fenestration furniture with a gentle clean twice a year.
- As with the frames, only use a soft cloth to clean window furniture and only use diluted PH neutral cleaning products. Wash gently with a soft cloth and then buff dry with a second dry soft cloth.
- It might also be worth lubricating moving parts and closure points once a year with neutral lubricants, so your windows and doors continue to open and close smoothly. Don’t use harsh lubricants or you may risk damaging the hardware components.
- If you have had new windows or doors installed recently, it’s worth checking the brand of hardware used and the specific cleaning recommendations for that hardware.
How to wash the glass in your windows and doors
Aluminium home improvements often have slimmer frames than their PVC-U and timber counterparts, allowing the glass to take centre stage. Cleaning the glass inside and out on a regular basis is an important part of keeping any window or door looking its best.
- Avoid washing glass on a sunny day! Although it’s nicer to be outside in the sunshine, the heat on the glass will dry the water too quickly creating streaks.
- Have a bucket of warm water with your gentle cleaning agent to hand. Your gentle cleaning agent may be a shop bought glass cleaning product, or it might be a natural concoction including products like baking soda or vinegar. Use this combination to wash the glass with a sponge. If there are more stubborn marks on the glass pane you may need to spray your cleaning solution on it and leave it for a few minutes before tackling with the sponge.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe off any excess water and then a squeegee or if you have any in the house, newspaper, to remove the final remnants of water.
Keep it clean🧼
Aluminium windows and doors are likely to last a long time and thanks to the new technological advances in their manufacture and the finish applied to them, are unlikely to fall into disrepair. However, as with most things, by maintaining them little and often, you can make the most of your investment, and enjoy your windows and doors all year round. If you would like more information on the best way to maintain your aluminium products, you can refer to our full care and maintenance guidelines here.
Need professional advice on design, specification or installation?
We have a network of carefully selected Partners who will help guide you through your home transformation process.